a dragon were to join an adventuring group, it would travel in disguise; the other party members wouldn't know it was a dragon.
The dragon described below is a red dragon whelp.
Red Dragon Whelp Racial Traits
A red dragon whelp has the following traits:
• +2 Strength. Dragons are physically powerful.
• Medium Quadruped: As a Medium creature, a red dragon whelp has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size. Because of her four legs, a red dragon whelp's lifting and carrying limits are half again as much as a Medium character. Red dragon whelps also have a +4 bonus on checks to avoid being tripped.
Also, since a dragon's body is not humanoid, armor must be specially crafted for them. This means it costs more than normal, as explained in the "Armor for Unusual Creatures" sidebar in WoW RPG, Chapter 9: Weapons and Armor.
• Red dragon whelp base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision: Red dragon whelps can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white, but it is otherwise like normal sight.
• Low-Light Vision: Red dragon whelps can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Dragon: Red dragon whelps are dragons, not humanoids. They are immune to effects that specifically target humanoids, like hold person.
• Fire Subtype: Red dragon whelps have the fire subtype. They have immunity to fire but vulnerability to cold. This means they take double damage from cold attacks, whether or not they succeed on a saving throw.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects and all paralysis effects.
• Natural Weapon: A red dragon whelp has a powerful jaw and sharp teeth. It has a single bite attack that deals 1d8 points of damage. See the Monster Guide, Chapter 5: Monster Types, Subtypes, and Abilities, for more information on natural weapons.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic.
• Bonus Languages: Any. Dragons learn a wide variety of languages.
• Creature Class: If you play a red dragon whelp, you must take levels in the red dragon whelp creature class.
• Favored Class: Warrior. A multiclass red dragon whelp's warrior class does not count when determining whether she suffers an XP penalty (see WoW RPG, Chapter 3: Classes, "Multiclass Characters," XP for Multiclass Characters).
All of the following are features of the red dragon whelp creature class. Note that the bonuses and abilities she gains at 1st level are in addition to those it gains by
While the example dragon creature class here describes a red dragon whelp, it is a simple matter to adjust the class to represent other dragons, or to create your own creature classes to describe drakes. Other dragon types might possess different subtypes and have slightly different ability score bonuses, breath weapons and spell-like abilities, but most of the other racial traits and class features remain the same.
virtue of its racial traits. (A 1st-level red dragon whelp has a +1 natural armor bonus, for example.)
"Class" Skills: Appraise (Int), Concentration (Sta), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Spt), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Spt), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Spt), and Swim (Str). See WoW RPG, Chapter 5: Skills for skill descriptions.
Starting Gold: A 1st-level red dragon whelp begins play with 0 gold pieces.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Red dragon whelps are proficient in the use of their natural weapons only. They are not proficient with armor.
Blindsense (Ex): The red dragon whelp has blindsense (see the Monster Guide, Chapter 5: Monster Types, Subtypes, and Abilities) out to 15 feet. The range increases to 30 feet at 4th level, 45 feet at 8th level, and 60 feet at 12th level.
Damage Reduction (Ex): The red dragon whelp has damage reduction 1/magic. The value increases as the red dragon whelp gains levels, as shown on Table 2-2. This also means that the red dragon whelp's natural weapons count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
Boundless Mind (Ex): At 2nd level, the red dragon whelp gains the boundless mind ability (see the Monster Guide, Chapter 5: Monster Types, Subtypes, and Abilities).
Breath Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, the red dragon whelp can breathe a 30-foot, white-hot line of superheated air and flame. Using a breath weapon is a standard action. Once the red dragon whelp breathes, she can't breathe again until 1d4 rounds later. A blast from a breath weapon always starts at any intersection (i.e., where any two lines meet on a battlemat) adjacent to the red dragon whelp and extends in a direction of the dragon's choice.
Creatures caught in the area can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage. The save DC against the breath weapon is (10 + 1/2 the red dragon whelp's dragon's HD + the red dragon whelp's Sta modifier). The red dragon whelp's breath weapon deals 1d10 points of fire damage for every two dragon Hit Dice she has, as shown on Table 2-2.
This flame also sears any ground that it strikes: it burns away all soil and vegetation, which starts to grow back within 1d4 days, but three times as bountiful as before. (Plants bear three times their original crop, grow at three times their natural rate, and so forth.) The affected land is otherwise refreshed, renewed and healthy, and is immune to any disease or ailment for one full year.
Was this article helpful?